Recently I was at a baby shower and for dessert they served carrot cake. Light-bulb moment! I could make a carrot cake waffle. This is a super easy recipe. I used a whole wheat waffle mix, added some shredded carrots, raisins, and pumpkin pie spice to the mix. Then I topped the waffles with a mixture of cream cheese mixed with maple syrup. I hope you enjoy these.
I served the waffle topped with the whipped cream cheese mixture and some chopped pecans and shredded carrots.
- 1 cup whole wheat waffle mix (mixed according to package instructions)
- 1 cup carrots shredded
- ¼ cup raisins, optional
- ¼ cup pecans, chopped
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- ½ cup whipped cream cheese
- 2-4 Tbsp. maple syrup
- ¼ cup pecans, chopped for garnish
- Mix the waffle mix according to package directions in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Shred the carrots and add to the waffle mix along with the raisins, if using, ¼ cup pecans and pumpkin pie spice. Mix well
- Heat a waffle iron to medium-hot (if you have a setting feature). Coat the waffle iron with cooking spray.
- While the waffle iron is heating, mix the whipped cream cheese with the maple syrup, add the maple syrup to your taste, set aside.
- Scoop some of the carrot mixture onto the hot waffle iron, close and cook until there is no more steam, approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove the waffle and serve immediately or keep warm on a baking sheet with a rack in a warm oven while you cook the remaining batter.
You can store extra waffles in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer longer. Just toast them before serving.
Also, if you like a crisper waffle, let the waffle sit a few extra minutes with the waffle iron open to crisp up.