In the summer there is always an over abundance of zucchini, especially for those of you who have a garden. Therefore, I decided to come up with a way to use up some of that zucchini. So, keeping with the waffle theme, I made this super easy waffle with just a few ingredients. Be creative and try different cheeses, spices, herbs, etc.
You can make these gluten-free by using a gluten-free flour like I did. I used garbanzo bean flour, which adds some protein.
I served the waffle with a thin sliced grilled chicken breast topped with a fruit salsa (strawberries, orange, jalapeno, red onion).
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup flour -- I used garbanzo bean flour, any kind will work
- 2 eggs
- dash chipotle chili powder
- Shred the zucchini, then place in kitchen towel and twist to squeeze out the liquid. Place in mixing bowl.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to the same bowl. Mix well
- Heat a waffle iron to medium-hot (if you have a setting feature). Coat the waffle iron with cooking spray.
- Scoop some of the zucchini mixture onto the hot waffle iron, close and cook until there is no more steam, approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove from waffle iron and serve immediately or keep warm on a baking sheet with a rack in a warm oven while you cook the remaining batter.
Variations: Use fine corn meal for the flour and add a splash of milk to the mixture. Top with pulled pork or boneless pork country ribs.
Try different cheeses, I also made these with a pizza blend of cheeses I found at the market, it had mozzarella, smoked provolone, Parmesan and Romano cheeses.
Looking for a good marinade for the chicken? Click here.