To get a smoky flavor try using grilling planks on the grill. Today I’m sharing my Stuffed Portobello Mushroom recipe. These mushrooms are a great first course or use as a side dish. I like to serve them right from the plank.
- 1 grilling plank (apple, pecan or cedar)
- 4-6 medium fresh Portobello mushroom caps
- 1 Tbsp. avocado oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup frozen spinach, defrosted (remove excess liquid)
- ¼ tsp. chipotle chili pepper
- ½ cup cubed day-old sourdough bread (or you can use small croutons)
- ½ cup white cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup crab meat
- Soak the grilling plank in water to cover for at least 1 hour. (I place something heavy on it to keep it submerged.)
- Carefully remove the stems and gills from the mushrooms, chop the stems.
- In a skillet, sauté the mushroom stems and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in the spinach, chili powder, bread cubes and cheese, mix well. Gently fold in the crab meat.
- Heat a grill to medium heat. Heat the wood plank until it crackles, 3-5 minutes. At the same time grill the mushroom caps (unstuffed), stem side up, 3-5 minutes or until you get grill marks.
- Transfer the mushroom caps to the plank and fill with the stuffing mixture. Grill, covered, 15 minutes or until mushrooms are browned and stuffing is heated through.
planks can be reused, just wash and let air dry. You can find planks at the grocery store.