I love all the fresh fruits and vegetables available this time of year. This month I would like to highlight fresh strawberries. This tart is simple to make and looks very impressive!
- 1 prebaked graham cracker crust – use either an 8 x 12-inch rectangular pan or a 9-inch round tart pan, although you could make it in a 9-inch springform pan or a 10-inch pie plate – lots of options. (Follow the directions on the box of Graham Cracker Crumbs)
- 8 oz. package light cream cheese, at room temperature
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. almond extract
- 6 cups small fresh strawberries, divided
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. sliced almonds, toasted.
- Filling: combine all the filling ingredients in a medium bowl; stir until smooth. Spread the mixture over the bottom of the prepared graham cracker tart crust.
- Topping: in a food processor or blender, place 2 cups strawberries and process until smooth. Pour into a small saucepan and add the 2/3 cup sugar, and cornstarch. Cook over medium stirring with a whisk constantly, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cook 1 minute. Remove glaze from heat and let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Combine the remaining strawberries with the lemon juice, toss to coat. Arrange berries, bottoms up over the tart filling. Sprinkle the almonds around the edge. Cover and chill 3 hours before serving.
* This makes more glaze than is needed for 1 tart. You can freeze it for later, or try it on ice cream or yogurt.