Are you tired of the classic green bean casserole? Try my version of a green bean side dish. This would go great with your Easter Ham and Scalloped Two Potato Gratin.
Green Beans with Caramelized Shallots & Almonds
- 2 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon vegetable oil (avocado, canola, grape seed)
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Bring a pot of water to a boil over high heat; salt the water. Add the green beans and cook for 2-3 minutes. Drain and immediately transfer to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. When the beans are cool, drain and set aside
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter with 1 tablespoon oil. Add the shallots and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallots begin to brown, 4-6 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallots are caramelized, about 4-6 more minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- In the same pan over medium-heat, warm an additional teaspoon of oil. Add half of the green beans, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are heated through and lightly browned 3-4 minutes. Add half of the almonds and shallots and stir to combine. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat with the remaining green beans, almonds, and shallots. Toss all of the beans together, then transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately.