In honor of Chinese New Year I’m sharing my recipe for Crab and Shrimp Sui Mai. These dumplings are usually made with pork, although I chose to make a seafood variety. If you would like a more traditional variety simply mix ground pork with with the shrimp.
Gong Hey Fat Choy (Wishing you a prosperous year)
- 1/3 cup shiitake mushrooms*, chopped
- 1/3 cup water chestnuts, chopped
- 3 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- dash salt
- 5 ounces sea scallops, chopped
- 6 ounces lump crabmeat, drained
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 18 round wonton skins
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 8 lettuce leaves
- Sui Mai dumpling: place first 4 ingredients in a food processor; pulse 8 times or until finely chopped. Add the ginger, oil, salt, and scallops; pulse 4 times or until scallops are finely chopped. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl; add crabmeat and egg, tossing to combine.
- Working with one wonton skin at a time (covering remaining skins with a damp towel to prevent drying), spoon about 1 tablespoon filling into center of each skin. Gather up edges of skin around filling; lightly squeeze skin to adhere to filling, leaving top of Sui Mai open. Smooth surface of filling with the back of a spoon dipped in water. Place dumplings on a baking sheet sprinkled with cornstarch; cover loosely with a damp towel to prevent drying.
- Line each tier of a 2-tiered (10-inch) bamboo steamer with 4 of the lettuce leaves. Arrange 9 Sui Mai, 1 inch apart, over lettuce in each steamer basket. Stack tiers, and cover with the steamer lid. Add water to a wok (or large skillet) to a depth of inch; bring to a boil. Place steamer in pan; steam dumplings 10 minutes.
- Dipping Sauce: Combine 1 tablespoon sugar, 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce, 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon water, and 1 teaspoon sambal oelek in a small bowl and whisk until sugar is dissolved.
* If using dried shitake mushrooms, first soak them in hot water for approximately 20 minutes, drain and squeeze out the liquid.