Most people like to start the New Year off on a healthy note. With that in mind I’m sharing a few recipes you could use for Meatless Monday, which is a campaign to encourage eating vegetarian at least one day a week. Meatless Monday is good for the environment and our health. Here are three versions of mini-tarts; you can serve these with a side salad for a light lunch.
- Basic Custard (see note)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup light cream
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg, optional
- Pinch cayenne, optional
- Whisk all the ingredients together. Set aside.
- Tart Dough
- 1 package pre-made pie crust, such as Pillsbury
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Using the pre-made pie crust, or your favorite pie crust recipe for 2 pies, line the dough in the tart pan, do not prick the crust. Then line with parchment paper and use beans, rice, or pie weights to fill pie. Bake 10-15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Set aside to cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375°F.
- ½ Roma tomato, diced
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts, optional
- Fill the cooled tart shell with the tomato, cheese, and basil (use ½ the ingredients per shell). Ladle custard in shell just to the top of the shell. If using, sprinkle with pine nuts.
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- ½ - 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- ½ cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1-2 Tbsp. sliced almonds
- Fill the cooled tart shell with the onions and cheese (use ½ the ingredients per shell). Ladle custard in shell just to the top of the shell. Sprinkle almonds on top.
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Oil for sautéing
- ½ avocado, sliced
- ½ jalapeno, diced, optional
- Salsa, optional for garnish
- Sauté the onion until tender, set aside. Fill the cooled tart shell with the onions, avocado slices and jalapeno, if using, (use ½ the ingredients per shell). Ladle custard in shell just to the top of the shell.
- To Bake: Place all the filled tarts on a baking sheet. Bake in the 375°F oven, 10-15 minutes, or until the custard is set.
I’m providing the basic custard that will fill 6 mini-tarts, the filling amounts are for 2 mini-tarts.
I like to make batches of these because they freeze well and then I have something on hand if I want to have a friend over for a light lunch. I like to serve the tarts with a side salad.