Spring will soon be in the air and some of my favorite vegetables are coming into season. These include artichokes, asparagus, Brussel sprouts, and squash to name a few. So for this month’s recipe I would like to share an easy, quick Italian stir-fry to serve over spaghetti. This is a colorful dish with the green asparagus, and red cherry tomatoes.
Serving Suggestions: serve with a side salad and warm bread to make this a meal.
- ½ pound spaghetti, or linguine
- 2 tablespoons oil, avocado, grape seed, or olive oil
- 10.5 oz. container of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- Salt & pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup dry white wine (or you can use chicken broth)
- ½ - 1 pound asparagus, cut on diagonal, 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled & deveined
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
- In a large pot, cook pasta a la dente (cook until just tender but still a little firm).
- While the pasta is cooking, in a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are softened, approximately two minutes.
- Add the crushed red pepper and garlic, and cook stirring for 30 seconds. Add the wine and asparagus bring to a boil, and then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and continue to simmer until the shrimp is pink and cooked, 5-7 minutes. Stir in the herbs.
- Pour over cooked pasta and toss to combine.
I provided amounts for the ingredients, but when I stir-fry I tend to just add what I want, I don’t measure. For example, if you like more asparagus or more tomatoes that will be perfectly fine. Season to taste, if you like a little heat, add more crushed red pepper.