I still have fond memories, as a child growing up, baking with my Mom in the kitchen during the holidays. This was the time of year when the “special” cookies and tea cakes were made. Therefore, this month I would like to share a couple my favorites. First, my Mom’s nut cups, they look cute and are super easy to make. I often make the Lemon-Cream Cheese Tea Loaves in small, paper baking molds so I can give them away as a simple gift from my kitchen. I hope you enjoy. Tis the season.
Photo by Doug Korody
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 3 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 Tbsp. butter, melted
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- Dash salt
- Extra chopped nuts for topping
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Dough: Blend the softened butter and cream cheese until creamy. Add the flour and blend. Divide dough into 24 tiny balls (like small walnuts) and press into tiny muffin pans. Add filling.
- Filling: Mix the ground nut meats, egg, brown sugar, melted butter, salt and vanilla. Spoon into dough. Sprinkle some ground nuts over the filling.
- Bake: Bake in 350°F oven for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 250°F and bake 10 minutes longer until light brown. Remove from oven and cool.
- Topping: Remove from muffin pan when cool and sprinkle powdered sugar over the nut meats.